Putting RAW photos on your iPad using the Camera Connection Kit doesn't work very well, since you apparently see a large image of the thumbnail. This application will convert most NIKON NEF, Canon CRW/CR2, Olympus ORF, Panasonic RW2, Sony ARW (not SR2), FujiFilm RAF, Pentax PEF and Leica RWL files to TIFF, PNG and/or JPEG directly on your iPad. A list of supported cameras can be found on our support page. You will not need Internet access for it. The intended use is for photographers on a plane, in the field or on vacation, who put RAW photos onto their iPads using the Camera Connector. Internet access is either impossible or impossibly expensive in these situations. You can further postprocess as needed.
1. This is a raw converter, not a photo editor. There are several good photo editors for the iPad and you should use one as part of your workflow. The conversion is based on DCRaw, which is the most popular and widely used open-source raw converter around.
2. You will need an iPad 3+ to run the app. The "High memory, fast" setting is for batches of size at least 2. It does not yet work on the Mini or iOS8. It does not yet work with combined JPEG and RAW.
3. You will not need Internet access for the app. This means you can use it on a plane (following all the FAA and airline rules first, e.g. turning Airplane Mode on and waiting until you are cleared). You can also use it on vacation, in the field or anywhere you don't have Internet access or don't want to pay for large uploads and downloads on your network.
4. To use this app, you have to enable Location Services for it. This is an Apple requirement. The app does not use your location data.
5. You will also have to turn Auto Lock to Never in Settings-> General. This is also due to Apple. Remember to turn it back afterwards.
6. The app will tell you the type of each input file. If you choose a bunch of non-RAW photos, or RAW photos that are not supported, then an alert will tell you so.
7. You can batch conversions. Just select more than one image.
8. A progress bar will keep you informed of the status of the work. When the app is done, an alert will tell you how many TIFFs, PNGs and JPEGs were written to your Camera Roll. The Photo App will take a few seconds after that to render the newly-created files.
9. The output files are written to the Camera Roll. Your original RAW files will not be affected.
10. You can control the JPEG quality, highlight detail vs brightness and batch processing speed. The batch processing speed can be set on high speed only for the new iPad (iPad 3).
11. This software is based on DCRaw without the restricted functions (no license) and ELCPickerController (MIT license).
12. If you have problems, please submit your logs and crash logs. We have received none so far.
13. If you have questions, the support address is on the main page of the app. We prefer that you contact us first because most problems are easy to resolve.
Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
RawConverter 2 is a free trial software application from the Screen Capture subcategory, part of the Graphic Apps category.
The app is currently available in English and it was last updated on 2011-12-17. The program can be installed on iOS.
RawConverter 2 (version 2.7) has a file size of 1.47 MB and is available for download from our website.
Just click the green Download button above to start. Until now the program was downloaded 0 times.
We already checked that the download link to be safe, however for your own protection we recommend that you scan the downloaded software with your antivirus.